[DeTomaso] Oil Smoke From Breathers

Dan Courtney dfcex at pacbell.net
Sun Apr 24 23:25:08 EDT 2011

The oil smoke/mist only comes out from the breather, not the exhaust, and
only between 3,000 - 4,000 rpm's under acceleration. Enough fumes to draw
glares from Prius drivers (and to stink up the passenger compartment).
I don't think it's rings, and I believe a clogged drain hole in the heads
would produce smoke from the exhaust on deceleration.
The engine builder suggested I install a catch-can, but that feels like
turning a blind eye to a potential problem.
I'll try a different PCV valve tomorrow.
If the problem is valve guides, or valve stem seals, would that show in a
leak-down test?

Dan

Dan Courtney
22 Years of Excellent Representation
Excalibur Commercial Real Estate Services
La Jolla, CA
(858) 551-5455 P
(858) 551-5456 F