[DeTomaso] DAN JONES I AM SEEKING YOUR INPUT ON A NEW VALVETRAIN

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 11:32:02 EDT 2011

> Dan - I wanted to talk to you about deciding on what type of valve train will serve my needs and where to get some of those parts (Specifically the Crane Hydraulic lifters that
> will work at 7000RPM)

You want the Crane retrofit link bar hydraulic roller lifters, p/n
36532-16.  Source them through Alex Denysenko at Money Maker Racing
(monymkrssla at aol.com).  He's competitive with Summit on pricing and
knows more about Fords than I do.  You ight ask him if Cliff Sherman
is still modifying the lifters for higher RPM capability (he used to
do that on the OEM Ford lifters).  Make sure to use the Crane link bars
as they work with standard base circle cams.  The cam will need to
use "RPM" lobes, not high torque lobes and you'll need springs to match.
Beehive springs (the matching tiny retainers are light even with steel
so you need not pay for the more expensive titanium retainers) are
well suited to hydraulic roller lobes.  Comp and Scorpion offer beehives
and Pac Racing has a range of beehive springs for higher lifts:
.
 http://www.pacracing.com/beehive.html

 0.650" lift beehive springs, 313 and 350 lb/in rates
 0.700" lift beehive springs 408 lb/in
 0.750" lift beehive springs 313 lb/in

If using a steel cam core, you'll want to use Crane's steel gear.

There's a 407 Fontana in my garage awaiting its turn on the dyno with a
cam that should turn 7000 RPM.  The heads have the BBC Comp beehives,
and Crane link bar hydralic roller lifters.  It should prove a good test
of the RPM capability of a Cleveland hydraulic roller.

I'll try calling when I get a free moment.

Dan Jones