[DeTomaso] A Thing of Beauty - My Fresh ZF

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Fri Apr 22 23:06:44 EDT 2011

Got my freshly rebuilt ZF home today, what a thing of beauty.

Byron Sanborn, Vintage Racing Motors in Redmond Washington, bead-blasted the
entire case, so it looks brand new.   Probably won't paint it.  Fresh seals
and gaskets, four new syncros (courtesy of Dennis Quella) and a new (25K
miles used) ring and pinion.  Black painted end cap and side plates,
stainless acorns.  All in parts, labor and tax for $3K.

That's a good deal less than I expected when I found out I needed a new ring
& pinion.  Can't wait to get it back in the car and head for Reno!

As I was standing the shop getting the particulars of the ZF work, I'm
looking at a '74 BMW 2002 Turbo (yes, factory turbo) in racing trim with a
full flare kit and front air dam, a Facel Vega convertible, a '27 Bentley
6.5 Litre drophead coupe, a '57 Jag D Type, a '57 Ferrari Testa Rosa, and an
early '60's Lotus mid-engine Formula 1 car, all in various states of loving
attention.  My ZF mechanic says he just finished restoring his own Turbo
2002: wanted one ever since he took driving lessons at the 'Ring in Germany
in one in '76.  This fellow cut his ZF chops as mechanic for the BMW M1
Racing team in the '80's.  This shop is in the heart of Microsoft
money-land, and they are doing just fine, thank you very much.  We're lucky
to have Byron to help us out as you couldn't meet a nicer guy.

Mike Thomas
Panteras Northwest
Yellow 74 L #6328