[DeTomaso] sway bar attachment points

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Apr 22 02:55:21 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/21/11 4:36:58 PM, ehpantera at yahoo.com writes:

> I would like to know if the(re) is a real difference if you mount the
> ends of the sway bar below the A-arms rather than on top. I've noticed that
> some Grp 4 cars do so. What would be the ideal mounting setup fpr the rear
> sway bar?

Ground clearance reduction. What you describe works on race cars that run
on manicured, debris-free tracks. Doesn't work well on real streets and
highways. So IMHO, the ideal mount is as-stock with sphere-ball mounts on the bar
ends and urethane bushings in the middle. Plus it's far less trouble and
takes no welding etc.
If you really want to redesign the rear system, I'd mount the bar above the
transaxle with extension rods down to the lower a-arms. Take a look at the
Maserati Bora rear swaybar mounting. The bar can be smaller in dia as you
can mount it further forward than stock position, without the long springy
arms reaching toward the a-arms. As to exactly what size- dunno. Do some
testing and report back. Good luck- J DeRyke