[DeTomaso] One more question...

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 12:59:40 EDT 2011

Sorry for bombarding the list, but the picture is becoming clearer frame by
frame..

It is now clear that the carb problems I have been having since
disassembling my carb have been caused by incorrect float levels.

I removed the needle valve on both the primary and secondary side, and just
tightened it all the way up when I reassembled.

Lowering the float level at a completely random level allowed me to start
the engine, and it actually idles quite well and revs strongly. I still
haven't driven it on the street.

I need to set the float levels. My carb has these window things:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-26-113/

They have clouded up so that I can't see the fuel level behind them, and
broken off so that they can't be removed. A quick search on a few forums
shows that this is a common problem, and several people recommend avoiding
them for exactly the problems I have.

I've read that one can approximately set the float level by removing a bowl
and adjusting the needle valve so that the float is parallel to the bowl. Is
there any other way to set the float level?

It's the first day of a 5 day weekend in Spain, stores are closed, and
finding Holley sight hole plugs would be Mission Impossible anyway. The
sight plug is plastic, so I could drill it out if I could find something to
plug the hole. Does anyone know what thread the sight plug is? Does anyone
have any bright ideas for removing the stub of the useless plastic sight
plug?

Does anyone remember what I did with the stock Holley 600 that came with my
car? I could use the sight plugs from that carb. I remember swapping carbs
with Thomas Tornblum, but I thought *i* borrowed *his* carb and not the
other way around.. I found my old heads and intake but can't find the carb.

Charles McCall

1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375

"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"

 <http://www.poca.com/index.php/gallery/?g2_itemId=2323>