[DeTomaso] I unbroke my carburetor!

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 12:10:37 EDT 2011

Thanks for all the on- and off-line help.

My engine runs again!

It was kind of exciting, with fire and everything!

When cranking over the engine, fuel gushed out the secondary vent tube.

I lowered the needle valve adjustment screw and cranked over the engine - no
more fuel gushing out and the engine fired right up.

I can now happily rev the engine with both the primary and secondary
circuits It appears that I had the float level way high.

Now here's my problem. To set the float level, you need to remove the sight
screw so that the fuel level is just below the hole.

My carb came with clear sight glass plastic thingies, and at least on the
secondary side it has broken off flush with the carb body, making it
impossible to remove.

I ought to check the primary side as well - the plastic sight glass thing
hasn't broken (yet?) but can't be removed with my fingers. I can't really
see the fuel level so I think I need to remove it I'll probably take some
pliers to it and hope it doesn't break.

Are there any other tricks to setting float level other than the sight
holes?

Thanks!

Charles McCall

1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375

"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"

 <http://www.poca.com/index.php/gallery/?g2_itemId=2323>