[DeTomaso] spare tire

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Apr 20 15:20:24 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/20/11 8:49:32 AM, JJD1010 at aol.com writes:

> We have a new owner who asked what people do if they get a tire  blowout
> on the road. The inflatable spare's got to be pretty worthless after
> all these years,

I'm with Tomas- life's too short to wait hours for a tow truck... and it
seems that when the need arises, cell coverage is not available in that
area.... Leaving the car to the mercies of roving drunks is not an option either.
Eventually, a cop will show up.
Its a shock to many owners to find that there are still inflatable spare
tires made, and wrecking yards are full of them- all MUCH newer than the
once-recalled stock BFG collapsible spare. Second note: if you've changed brake
rotor diameters for big tires, the stock 6" x 14" steel wheel won't fit so
you need to look for a 6" x 16" wheel of the correct bolt pattern. I run a
late-'80s 15" collapsible Goodyear spare for a Buick, I think, on an aluminum
drag-race 6" x 14" wheel. I also have a high-pressure spare made from a
late-'80s forged-aluminum Thunderbird wheel. This WILL clear big brakes. Both fit
in the rear trunk or with some work, in the front trunk too.
Also not generally known, it IS possible to dismount and remount
collapsible spare tires- but you need an old time tire guy that actually knows what
he's doing, not a button-pusher with an automatic machine... which can break
an alloy wheel in pieces, by the way.
So anyway, yes- there are some viable options besides relying on luck. FWIW
- J Deryke