[DeTomaso] Tachometer challenge

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Tue Apr 19 16:30:47 EDT 2011

To be certain, I need to know exactly what is controlling  the ignition in
your system, but the most likely answer is "Yes, you  need an adapter for
the OEM tach."

The OEM tach is designed to be triggered by the approximately 200  volt
peak spike that occurs on the negative terminal of a breaker points/coil  type
ignition system when the spark is generated.

Most Ignition boxes or computer controlled ignitions put out a 20%  duty
cycle 12 volt tach signal with each power stroke. An adapter (available  from
MSD, et al) is required for the ignition box or computer controlled
ignition to trigger the OEM tach from the 12 volt signal.

It is also possible to modify the internals of the OEM tach circuit  to
accept the 12 volt trigger signal.

Have fun  today,

sobill at aol.com

In a message dated 4/19/2011 11:36:06 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,