[DeTomaso] Bulkhead reduction kit pics

Kirk Evans kre at adelphia.net
Mon Apr 18 00:25:46 EDT 2011

Look guys---I prefer not to acetone old wounds and frankly like to stay low
profile as much as possible so tonight I will clear-up several issues about
parts. First off Denis and I are fine and this bulkhead issue is long gone
in the archives if problems.

Mike---I love you like a brother but this one I have to address.

>A critical (albeit somewhat theoretical) failing of the kit is the lack of
>adjustment for the water pump belt.   The kit relies on a 'press fit' of
>the
>belt between the crank pulley and water pump.   Even buying a belt of >the
>same nominal length from a different manufacturer may result in
> >insufficient tension to keep the water pump turning properly--an
> >inexcuseable engineering oversight in my opinion.

I might agree with you if I were on the other side without all the
information so let me publicly explain.

In 1985 I designed the bracket the mounts the alternator beside the AC pump
and started using the design them on all of the AmeriSport GT5-S cars and
many of the cars AmeriSport converted without failure. The 89 supercharged
version was going to have the reduced bulkhead since we would no longer have
needed an air pump to feed the cats---but that is another story.

 In 1991 at the request of a customer I created a reduced bulkhead using the
same bracket. When  it came to driving the water pump, I remembered seeing a
twin pulley on a Corvette (do not remember the year or circumstance) built
by GM or GM racing that used one fitted belt and one which drove the
alternator. Considering that, two well know engineers (all of you would know
their names) were consulted about a fitted pulley driving the water pump
over time and I was told in no uncertain terms it's fine "if you can find
one that will properly fit". Water pump drag is minimal which is why you can
drive them with the flat side of a serpentine and even an ultra loose V-belt
on 50% of the pulley  has far more grab than needed.(remember the belt is no
longer just touching 20% of the pulley like original) Now being the curious
type, the theory was tested by attempting to turn over an engine--- and in
deed you can turn over a plug-less engine with a loose belt before you can
turn over an engine with an alternator in place by using the water pump and
an old bolt-on fan. So my first bulkhead reduction car was built and driven
starting in 1991---many thousands of miles so far and it still has the same
water pump belt on it today. With all of the kits sold since 1992, I have
never had or heard of the water pump diving Top Cog 15260 fitted belt
failing and know of 5 cars locally---starting in 91 that are still running
the same belt. It has been proven to work over many years so IMHO you do not
need to spend more $$$ to fix something that is not broken. Let me assure
everyone if this was an issue at all, I would have addressed it along time
ago. I do not put out parts that might work----maybe----if you totally
rebuild them---nor will I ever. Mike---if this sounds snappy, it is not
meant to be---typing thoughts that come much faster than my hands can push
the keys makes me go direct to the point.

Chuck---

>$$$$   IIRC, DQ marketed the bulkhead reduction kit in the mid nineties.  I
> hink his kit was on the market before KE's

I sold Dennis kits from 92--- can't remember how long now and then he said
he could not get a hold of me---I do remember missing one phone call during
a shop move but will take him at his word that he
called---once---twice---three times a maybe. Later on I saw an add for my
bulkhead kit design that he was no longer ordering from me. You may recall I
did not get back into the Pantera business until the late 90's after the
S-car assembly project died. Now there are several differences between the
kits Dennis and I sell. Mine has always had a steel engine cover---not for
frontal engine explosions but for FIRE.  It may keep your butt from burning
up incase of a situation where you need help getting out of a flaming car. A
composite engine cover even with Kevlar and fire retardant resin will not
come close to holding up against steel in a fire over time unless there are
some new higher tec materials I am not familiar with. The Pantera
Performance cover looks exactly like my steel cover but in composite---a
mold was taken from my design. Again this explanation is not to embarrass
Dennis---he had customers and needed to sell the parts and he was unable to
make contact so he did what he had to---and remains a good friend of mine
today.

Second---The AC-alternator bracket has been proven since 1985 and was used
on all of the AmeriSport GT5-S cars and many of the Panteras we converted
including Shelby's, several for Carlini and 4 other customers. Now there is
a billet copy made in the Denver area and sold on line. I prefer steel but
I'm sure the billet part is quite good.

Third---As far as the bulkhead it's self, you will see that the drivers side
is flat behind the seat instead of tucked in at the top like the original
part and the passenger side has a slight hump which fades to nothing left to
right for AC pulley engine cover clearance, so the vinyl fits better and is
easer to install. These features as described are on both mine and Dennis's
kits---I made them and can explain why these features are in both.

The first fast access conversion ended up on Mike Drew's car untested. Since
then I have made several improvements and since Mike got such a great deal
on kit one, he's OK with the BOO-BOO's.

All of my parts are originals designed, porto-typed, tooled and most of them
are still built in house. There was only one part made that started out as a
co-op. The original was shipped to me and self destructed in transit. When
the box was opened, I immediately call the other vender and offered to
redesign the entire concept at my cost and would continue to sell through
his name. He agreed. Several months later---maybe 4 to 6 he called and asked
me to return the part---he was going another direction. By this time all of
the development was finished, the master was made and the tooling had been
started. I told him the project was all most complete I had to finish it in
order to recover my time and considerable expenses----His reply back was
"Hopefully, there will be enough difference in appearance, etc. to appeal to
different people".
 Had he said during the first call to return the part after opening the box
, I  would not be making the parts today. With the exception of this one
item, everything AmeriSport makes and sells is original and there are many
items that have never been released---several hoods, 2 deck designs, roof
scoop, wheels, interior panels, and many platform parts including suspension
and several frame sections. They are held back do to lack of proven testing,
market size and cash..

This took me 2 hours to type---if you need more info, please call, otherwise
thank you and good night.

Kirk