[DeTomaso] Fuel filter location

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Apr 17 15:11:37 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/17/11 8:21:18 AM, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> Is there any reason a fuel filter should not be installed basically above
> the intake manifold and next to the carb? On my car, I have a hard line
> coming from the front of the motor which is connect to a hose roughly at
> valve cover height.

Safety. As I mentioned, putting a filter in front of the carb provides a
pressurized container full of gas. In the event of a hard collision or fire-
or both- it's another source of fuel spraying out. And I sincerely hope your
filter of choice is not a glass body see-through filter. Those failure-prone
devices- or a plastic body filter- should be secured somewhere they won't
rattle and wear through.
Its almost as easy to attach a filter to the rubber fuel-out line from the
top of the tank as what you propose (once the engine covers are removed).
Most will fit up there under the cover nicely- maybe with a rubber cushion so
it doesn't rattle. Then the filter will be on the suction side of the pump
and will not be pressurized. Good luck- J Deryke