[DeTomaso] Bulkhead reduction kit pics

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Apr 17 13:24:40 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/17/11 9 36 26, matt at nwpantera.com writes:

> I'm installing the Kirk Evans bulkhead reduction kit.
> Kirk already sent me the alternator relocation brkt. kit to get started.
> Searching all archives I have found few pics of the kit actually installed.
>
>>>I can send you a bunch.   Better yet, I'll publish them on the POCA
website.

> >I yanked the non-working York and associated plumbing and components out
> 12 years ago when I got the car so I'm starting from scratch.
> I'm awaiting a response from Kirk,whom has been excellent to deal with,
> but I thought I'd send out and SOS in the mean time.
> The kit includes two belts but it's got me scratching my head how any
> tension adjustibilty is possible,except between the alt and compressor.Do you
> use the old idler?
>
>>>Yes.   However, the mounting bracket can be slotted, so with a shorter
belt you could theoretically do away with the ider pulley entirely, and just
adjust the tension between the crank and A/C compressor by sliding the
compressor/alternator bracket sideways.   I prefer to use the idler as originally
intended.

A critical (albeit somewhat theoretical) failing of the kit is the lack of
adjustment for the water pump belt.   The kit relies on a 'press fit' of the
belt between the crank pulley and water pump.   Even buying a belt of the
same nominal length from a different manufacturer may result in insufficient
tension to keep the water pump turning properly--an inexcuseable engineering
oversight in my opinion.

Dennis Quella copied Kirk's kit and sells a bolt-on idler pulley/bracket
kit with commensurately longer belt, which addresses this problem perfectly.
It's expensive, about $180 if my memory serves.   But it's also an elegant
solution to an annoying problem.

(Having said that, I haven't actually heard of a single failure from
anybody using Kirk's low-tech solution.   As long as you use his belt, and it
doesn't ever break or wear out, it seems to work fine.   But I prefer the
belt-and-suspenders method of an idler pulley).

> >I'm also interested to see how the A/C fittings and hose routing would
> look.
>
>>>The A/C compressor has a bunch of tabs and can be 'clocked' in any of
four positions.   It needs to go with the fittings facing outboard, so that
the hoses pass behind the back of the alternator.

> Does anyone have pics of the installation complete in the car or a link?
>
>>>I'll throw some pics up on my POCA album.

> >This will help me conceptualize how the belt arrangement goes. Kirk has
> been very good to work with and is easy to talk to. In fact I'll probably
> just give him a ring later. But I would please like to see what others have
> done or words of advice.
>
>>>Here you go:

Cheers!