[DeTomaso] Fuel filter location

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Apr 17 11:39:03 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/17/11 8 21 10, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> The easiest would be to put the filter in this location, at the transition
> from the hard line to the rubber fuel line, but I'm a little concerned
> about
> heat. It might be resting on the intake manifold, which probably isn't so
> bad, but the engine bay in general gets pretty warm.

You don't want the filter bouncing on top of the intake manifold, or
anyplace else.   Ideally it should be secured in some fashion.   Another option is
to section the hard line, remove a filter-length section of it at a
convenient spot, then insert the (metal) filter with two short sections of rubber
hose and four hose clamps.   The metal line may provide enough rigidity to
support the filter and keep it from banging into anything.

FWIW, I've got braided steel teflon hose (which was a very expensive
solution to the problem; I really should have used mostly hard line and just short
lengths of hose, and saved hundreds of dollars).   My original setup has a
90-degree fitting coming from the pump, straight hose to the top of the
engine, 90-degree fitting, filter, then hose to the carb inlet.   The hose is
secured to the firewall at the top with an Adel clamp (you know, these things:
  http://www.adelwiggins.com/ProdDtl.cfm?pid=108) to keep the filter from
banging around.