[DeTomaso] Redline NS or Mobil 1 LS?

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Sat Apr 16 18:36:18 EDT 2011

As far as I'm concerned this post by Les Gray is the final word on this topic:

OK guys.............here it goes. I (we) at Vehicle Performance Center
here in Arizona where I work , have been using Redline 75-90 NS for the last 15
years in every ZF we service or ones which I rebuild. We have noted much longer
synchronizer life and much better limited slip lock engagement with much less
"slip" which equates to less heat build up.
       The reason is the LACK of the limited slip additive used to quiet down
the LS noise/chatter which, as stated , many manufacturers use. This additive
DOES NOT enhance limited slip performance , to the contrary .......it degrades
the speed at which the limited slip goes to its maximum locking capabilities
because it is extremely slippery stuff that will not allow the LS to groan or
chatter as it engages ie: customers won't complain about odd noises when they
turn their vehicle and the two rear wheels turn at different rates which begins
to activate the limited slip.
       Now go one step further and guess what this ultra slippery goo does to
your synchronizer rings ability to lock up on it's tower?????  Lets see . . . .
slippery stuff - sync slips instead of grabbing - heat goes up - synchronizer
ring  degrades more rapidly because of grater slippage and heat generated before
it finally grabs and locks up.

 The ZF synchronizers require a good bit of friction  as it is being applied by
the synchronizer slider ring in order to "grab" the towers and lock up. Too
slippery - longer time for the item to fully stop the gear and this will
accelerate the speed of synchronizer and tower wear . . . . .  great for my
business , bad for your wallet.
        I know that some will disagree with me and continue to follow the flock
(and that's OK because different opinions are what makes us better and the
dialog can lead to more information which can change minds ....even mine!!) but
folks, I spoke with the people at Redline on this subject at length years ago
and will stand behind using this oil until I take my dying breath.

Les Gray

If you don't care about how long your synchros last you can use something else.

Jim Oddie