[DeTomaso] Grp IV Clone on Ebay

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sat Apr 16 16:25:29 EDT 2011

Dear Bob and Jack,

       You are exactly right.  In the mid nineties, I went to the Pocono
event and had the good fortune to get a ride in the PONE Express.   It was
lunch time and Wally drove during the Parade period.  It was a memorable
ride.  No helmets and constant yelling conversation over the roar of the
engine and the wind noise about the history and construction of the car all
the while Wally was driving at near race speed completely ignoring the
conventional Parade laps speeds.

      During the actual event, Gary was right at the front dicing it out
with the F40s.   He was doing very, very well.  I remember the tale Gary
told of the confounded Ferrari owners wandering over to his Pantera trying
to understand exactly what it was and how it was keeping up with them!
Great memories and a great event.  I just wish I could win the Lottery and
buy that fabulous Pantera.

       IIRC, Wally said that it was constructed from a burned Pantera (??).
He said that there were no tricks with it, just conventional racing settings
of the suspension and conventional Ford racing engine mods.  I loved it.

                  Mr. Nostalgia,  Chuck Engles