[DeTomaso] Puckered Oil Pan Bolt Holes

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Sat Apr 16 15:48:34 EDT 2011

Clarification, this is an Armando aluminum pan.

Thanks Jack.  After I laid the pan over the block, I realized the the same
thing.  I've ball peened the puckers down and each side is flat to itself
but now have a very slight (~1/16-3/32) twist in the pan when I lay if
upside down on my woodworker's bench.  I get the same measure of twist when
I drop the pan back onto the block.  Feeling I need to eliminate the twist
to put an even load on the gaskets, I'm thinking I'll lay the pan top down
on the garage floor with one corner supported by a thickness just larger
than the twist and apply some weight straight down on the pan to get it to
move.

May sound pretty basic, but I don't want to have to buy a new pan, and don't
want to have to pull it again to redo the gaskets if they start leaking.
This has to get done right the first time.

Thanks again
Mike Thomas

  _____