[DeTomaso] Question on coolant overflow tanks

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Apr 16 03:57:38 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/15/11 19 20 57, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> On 1488, I have my swirl tank at the highest elevation, which has the cap
> overflow hose that drains to the bottom of the tall metal overflow tank.
> At
> the top of the overflow tank is another drain hose that goes down to a
> second overflow tank made of plastic that is bolted to the firewall like
> you
> would see in any other car. Is that plastic overflow tank stock or even
> needed?  I would not think so.

It's not stock, and not needed.   The stock overflow was routed straight
down, where it could fizz water onto the ground in front of the right rear
tire.   (In fact, I know of a Pantera in the UK that recently spun rather
dramatically because the owner failed to address this--he had 'topped off' his
cooling system before going out on the track and soon found himself spinning
out!).

At a minimum, the stock overflow hose should be replaced with a long hose
routed out the back of the car, beyond the tires.   Having a second overflow
tank is definitely overkill, but it's certainly not a bad thing.