[DeTomaso] Fun w/ brakes and questions

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Apr 11 22:45:52 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/11/11 12:30:27 PM, Konrad.Szwab at AlconLabs.com writes:

> Thank you for the advice. What do I use to force the pistons out,
> compressed air ?

Yes- nothing excessive- maybe 40-60 psi at max. I use a blow-gun nozzle
from my compressor simply poked into the caliper inlet. Block three of the 4
pistons with wooden blocks & C-clamps. When the piston comes flying out,
that's when the mess starts, as it's followed by old fluid etc! Keep fingers well
away from the area the piston will impact and do this in a tray to catch
most of the mess. Old brake fluid spattered around will remove paint and
soften rubber parts & undercoating.....
Note if you try prying the dust boot(s) off while the piston is still in
place, you WILL tear it. Instead, allow air pressure to blow the piston right
thru the thin rubber dust boot. After the piston is out, it's simple to dig
out the spring-wire retainer and dust boot intact. Most can be re-used with
a quick wipe-off. All the foregoing concerns the front calipers; the rears
are a piece of cake by comparison. Good luck- J Deryke