[DeTomaso] Fun w/ brakes and questions

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Mon Apr 11 17:01:45 EDT 2011

Konrad,

I found air to be ineffective for completely removing the pistons.  It may
lift them somewhat. Put a block of wood between the pistons so they  can't
pop out and use air to get them up as much as you can.

When you remove the dust seals you will see that they were  held in small
groove. You can move the pistons up somewhat more by using a large
screwdriver in the groove and prying up on each side.

What finally worked for me ...... sounds crude but actually worked  .....
take a large vise grip and firmly grip the piston on the part above the  dust
boot groove. Firmly clamp the vise grip in a bench vise. Slowly rotate and
pull the caliper off the piston. It's the rotating while you pull that gets
the  job done. The area of the piston where the vise grip clamps can be
smoothed out  with a file and is a non- critical area in any case.

I must add that I had my caliper parts separated when I pulled my  pistons,
so I can't be sure this method has enough working room with the  calipers
assembled.

Worked for me. Let me know what works for you.

Have fun  today,

sobill at aol.com