[DeTomaso] NPC- Mustang plug problem

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Apr 11 15:08:17 EDT 2011

There are -or used to be- steel inserts available from K & N and others to
fix such things. You tap the sparkplug hole oversize with heavy grease on
the tap to catch the chips (and hope you get most of them!), screw an insert
onto a spark plug with anti-sieze on the inside and Lock-tite on the outside,
screw the assembly in and wait overnight. The biggest problem is having the
insert grab onto the plug instead of the head when you go to replace plugs
again. In my experience, Helicoils didn't work as well as threaded inserts.
Sometimes, the wire end hung into the chamber a tiny bit and caused
pre-ignition.
On cost- I don't remember- I haven't stripped a plug in any engine in
decades. The last one was a junk 2-stroke motorcycle I refurbished, and I made an
aluminum insert with a tapered pipe thread for that one. Simple fix: I
screwed the aluminum piece into the aluminum head dry, from the chamber side,
with a giant wrench until it squeeked... Good luck- J Deryke