[DeTomaso] Fun w/ brakes and questions

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Apr 11 14:50:25 EDT 2011

Konrad, if you can locate a copy of the August 2002 POCA News, I went thru
a street-rebuild of all 4 calipers, with illustrations. You're right- its
not difficult nor do you need special tools or an assistant. It IS incredibly
messy and will take most of one Saturday to do all 10 pistons. The pistons
collect varnish from not changing brake fluid each Spring, and hang up in the
bores. All thats needed is to check for leaks, then force one piston at a
time out, wipe it clean with a mildly abrasive Scotch-brite pad and
reassemble. If the slightest leak is seen, the seal inside the casting is a single
square o-ring and replacements are available from the vendors.
The only bad thing is, some caliper leaks are not fixable by replacing the
seal. European brakes are made with nickel-plated mild steel pistons. Which
rust in old water-loaded brake fluid (yet another reason to change fluid
each Spring!) A rust-pitted piston cannot be re-sealed. U.S brakes- including
Wilwoods- use stainless steel pistons and do not suffer this problem. I know
of no replacements for these Girling pistons. You can strip the plating,
smooth the steel and re-plate a pitted piston at vast cost, or make duplicates
from stainless bar stock if you're handy. Most guys look around for a
useable used caliper from someone who'se upgraded his brakes. Note there are two
different sized pistons in front brakes; the trailing-edge piston is smaller
than the leading edge piston- a racing feature from Dallara, I suspect.
While you're digging around in there, I'd replace the stock lines with
stainless AN lines. Best is dash-3 which are smaller diameter and thus react
faster to pedal force, but dash-4 are common, cheaper and work better than
stock rubber. I also recomment Speed-bleeders on all bleed ports including the
clutch slave, to save from having to beg a helper to spend his/her Saturday
sitting in the car pumping the pedal for you. Finally, I recommend
Porterfield R-4-S pads front & back. They stop the car quicker than stock pads and
last nearly as long. They are not 'racing' pads- they need not be heated up to
work wonderfully well. Good luck- J Deryke