[DeTomaso] Fun w/ brakes and questions

Szwab,Konrad,HOUSTON,IT Konrad.Szwab at AlconLabs.com
Mon Apr 11 12:39:18 EDT 2011

Hello,

Saturday while driving to the Houston chapter pig roast the brakes decided to give up at about 70 MPH. I had a feeling that would happen so I avoided plowing into anything.

The initial symptoms prior to the failure were a bit of wobbliness in the steering when applying slight brake pressure and a pull to the right. Then the pedal went almost to the floor with very light braking.

Then hard pull to the right that seemed like a stuck brake piston.

Crawling into a parking lot smoke was noticed coming out of the front pass. side wheel. No leaking fluid.

After towing the car home when coming off the trailer the brakes were working great (I guess after cooling). I presume the car sitting for 3 years probably the pistons are binding and would not really want to repeat the no brakes episode.

After picking the brains of the friendly group at the pig roast my spirits rose a bit since it seems a job my feeble skills could tackle.

I am looking for tips/things to avoid while I read the service manual and start getting parts.

What are the recommended sources for:

1.       Brake calipers rebuild kit (all 4 wheels)

2.       Pads (not racing, just regular driving ones)

3.       Steel braided brake hoses, (I was told that the steel braided ones get rid of the sponginess of the brakes, thanks Kirby)

What else would be a good idea to address while I have the wheels off and work on the brakes ? The vacuum booster was changed long ago with a bigger one.

Thanks,

Konrad

"Risks are not problems, problems are risks whose time has come" (IBM)

Konrad Szwab
Network Administrator
Alcon Research, Houston
(713) 295-4329
mailto:konrad.szwab at alconlabs.com

This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not an intended recipient or an authorized representative of an intended recipient, you are prohibited from using, copying or distributing the information in this e-mail or its attachments. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies of this message and any attachments.

Thank you.