[DeTomaso] Tail Light Modification

Art Stephens artstephens at verizon.net
Mon Apr 4 15:06:52 EDT 2011

Hello Michael,
I came across you pictures recently while I was looking for cars with big round tail lights, I liked the look of your version. I think I agree with you about the recess, but it looked to me like it was going to be way more work than I wanted to do. This was a very simple modification for me. I just cut out a piece of 18 gauge sheet metal and used a 4.5 inch hole saw to make the piece that I tacked in. I didn't get carried away welding it in case I decided against the mod. I also got to thinking that this may eliminate the cracking around the tail lights, or I may just have big cracks across the back of my car. :-]]]  The grommet is part of what makes this mod so easy. I like the way it seems to make the tail lights look bigger, kind of an "in your face" thing. I was afraid the grommet was going to give this a truck like appearance, but I really like it. A potential down side to the grommet is that it casts a shadow at times, but I am probably getting too fine about that. By the way guys, the bulbs and grommets are for 18 wheelers! So there are only about a million of them around which also makes them very inexpensive. The entire incandescent assemblies are less than ten dollars apiece including the grommets, the LEDs are more.

Art