[DeTomaso] starter studs

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Apr 4 11:21:50 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/4/11 7 18 15, jefude at yahoo.com writes:

>  If the opinion is not to use bolts. And I can not find correct studs.
> How about just using a bolt with the head cut off ?

That would work after a fashion.   I still don't understand the specific
problem you had with your studs.

I should mention that when I bought new metric studs for Lori's Pantera,
they didn't thread happily into the bellhousing where the old metric studs had
lived for years.   Visual inspection and a test-fit with a metric nut
revealed they were both the same, yet the new stud seemed to be a
slightly-less-happy fit.   We used a metric tap to clean out the holes and then the new
studs worked fine.   So I think that may be the solution you need.

Then again, if you've already run new metric bolts in there, the bolts may
have introduced happiness to the holes and now the studs might go just fine?

On my car, I had metric bolts holding my starter in and when I changed the
starter (actually just changed the solenoid but I had to remove the starter
to do so), I changed to studs at the same time.   I can't remember if I
helped them along by running a tap through the holes first or not?

Can't hurt though!