[DeTomaso] ZF oil choice?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Apr 2 03:49:43 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/1/11 12:58:58 PM, pantdino at aol.com writes:

> which is more important to you, functioning synchros or non-binding LS
> clutches?
> If the transaxle makes funny noises you can add small amounts of LS
> additive until it goes away.
> For me synchro function is important and LS function is not

I agree. There are a surprising number of Panteras running happily around
that do not have a limited slip any more. Its easy to check for any LSD left:
you jack up either rear wheel, put a torque wrench on any lug nut and turn
the wrench which turns the raised wheel. If the limited slip is still
present, it will take 40+ ft-lbs of force to rotate the wheel. If it takes less,
wear has gotten into the LSD clutches. No LSD= no problems with what lube you
use. Rebuilding is not simple nor cheap. FWIW- J Deryke