[DeTomaso] SHIFT ROD CENTER SUPPORT

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Apr 2 03:34:06 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/1/11 2:34:38 PM, detomaso at luleweb.se writes:

> Work Hall Pantera TRUNION BEARING / SHIFT ROD CENTER SUPPORT/FRAME
> (06009A)
> well?

Anders, some center support assemblies used a billet aluminum housing with
a teflon bushing to cut friction to a minimum. The teflon is very soft and
often escapes from the single setscrew that's supposed to hold it in the
housing. When the bushing slides completely out of its housing, the car becomes
very difficult to shift as the shaft flops around. Teflon also cannot
practically be glued. I've added several more setscrews to such things, in the
hopes that at least one will hold the bushing.... Others including stock use
steel-on-steel but lubing the shaft is difficut if the assembly is made too
tight. The area is extremely hot due to the header being close by, so lube
doesn't stay around long. FWIW, I'm still using the OEM assembly that came with
our car in '72. Good luck- J Deryke