[DeTomaso] Seat Rollers

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Fri Apr 1 21:57:36 EDT 2011

Will,

I don't have any pictures, but:

Here's what I know about replacing seat rollers:

Remove the  seats.
Flip them over and force each rail to the end of it's   travel.
Pry out the old roller from one end.
Move the rails to the other  end of the travel.
Pry the second old roller out.

Make four new  rollers from aluminum, brass, polyurethane, or nylon  1 inch
round  stock with a width to suit the rails.
Drill a 3/8 inch hole thru the center  of the side of each  roller.
Get 4 fairly soft compression springs of  approximately 3/8 x 1 1/8  from
the
local hardware store.
Put a  spring in each roller center hole.
Compress the springs and insert the  rollers in the  rails.

Reinstall the  seats.

Refinements:

My OEM rails were coated with grease which had  turned to glue  over 30
years.
I cleaned off the glue and reassembled  the rails without  grease. I don't
thing the rails will wear out from  sliding.

You may want to custom fit the diameters of the rollers to  suit  each
rail.
The rails are not fabricated with high precision. 1  inch rollers  worked
OK in
my rails. You can also adjust the depth of  the area where the rollers roll
by bending the lips
of the rails.

The absolute size of the hole in the rollers is not  critical  but the
spring
diameter needs to match the hole you drill.  The spring allows the roller
to roll and slide easily in the track, yet keeps  the roller from
rattling around. Without the springs, one of the rollers will roll fore and
 aft
when you start and stop.

Have fun,

SOBill   Taylor
sobill at aol.com

Have fun  today,

sobill at aol.com

In a message dated 4/1/2011 2:05:29 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,