[DeTomaso] lifter noise

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 1 12:36:49 EDT 2011

Mechanical lifters have a mechanical sound and I think if you listened to a hydraulic lifter engine and then a solid lifter engine you'd hear the difference pretty clearly.

You don't need to pull a head or cam to change a lifter, just the valve cover and intake manifold, and since it's a dry intake manifold, it is much easier.  But you might want to make a rough measure of valve lift on all the valves to make sure none of the lobes have been flattened if you're hearing valve train noise.

And, check your exhaust for leaks.  It's amazing how metallic an exhaust leak at the heads can sound.

Ken