[DeTomaso] Info concerning the 6 pistons wilwood

David Nunn dnunn at telus.net
Fri Apr 1 11:47:03 EDT 2011

Steve, what's wrong with your stock brakes?

Many years ago, after a few beers, one of our Vendors (who shall remain
anonymous) told me, if Pantera owners knew how to bleed their brakes and
changed their brake fluid on a regular basis, he'd never sell another set of
aftermarket brakes for a street driven Pantera. He said, the biggest problem
with stock brakes was, it's nearly impossible to get all of the air out of
the front calipers. His trick was to bleed the calipers off the car. He'd
unbolt them from their mounts, put a piece of plywood between the pads, then
hold them upside down and tap them with a hammer while he bled them. He'd
continue the process while rolling the calipers around until no more air
bubbles came out. Then he'd tighten the bleed screws and re-mount the
calipers. I've never tried it, so I can't attest to the effectiveness of
this technique, I'm only passing on the info I was given by someone who was
involved with Panteras since the early 70's.