[DeTomaso] Info concerning the 6 pistons wilwood

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 09:26:57 EDT 2011

Alain,

I would agree with what Mike has told you. I use six piston Wilwoods on the
front and 4 piston on the back. I've had them on the car since 1985 and use
it for street and track use.

And before anyone comments, they do NOT have dust covers on the pistons.
I've never had a problem with them after many, many miles driving to work
and back even in the rain.... the Wilwoods work very well on the street.

I found that new rotors, no matter how hard I tried to break them in
correctly following instructions from Wilwood and others, would start to
shudder after a hard weekend at the track. I would go home, take them off,
get them turned down and they would be fine for many happy miles after that.

I also use a slightly more aggressive pad which is brilliant on the track (I
forget which one and will have to get the info if you're interested, but I
put them on my GT40 also), but they do squeal on the street after awhile. A
good hard stop will get rid of the squeal for quite awhile.
Also, as expected, they are a little harder on the rotors in terms of wear.

Now, having said all that, I've read a lot about how the rotors get deposits
on them and although the runout may be fine, the difference in surface
'finish' at given spots can cause the same shuddering.
I have never had a chance to check that out, but intend to the next time
they start shuddering and shaking. If they seem discolored or 'different' in
some areas, I intend to rough them up very simply with sandpaper and then
see if that helps.

FWIW
Kirby