[DeTomaso] ZF oil

Justin Greisberg justingreisberg at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 1 06:43:55 EDT 2011

My ZF was working just fine prior to restoration.  I took the bottom cover off to wire the ting bolts, and then reinstalled it.  Then I filled with some super fancy synthetic redline 75-90.  Now it seeps out through the axle output area (seals are leaking).  That's the problem with adding fancy synthetic stuff to old seals.  I drained it all, and put back some name brand old-fashioned heavy gear lube, and it still seeps...  Makes my beautiful silver box look all yucky.  very frustrating.  Unless you're racing your ZF, or driving lots of miles, I WOULD NOT USE FANCY SYNthetic.  For the 1000 miles or less per year a lot of us do, maybe not so important.  Justin