[DeTomaso] Caliper bolts--when was the last time you checked? The "REST" of the story... or "Part II"...

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 19:07:22 EDT 2010

Having recently rebuilt and upgraded my suspension and upgraded my brake
calipers  to Brembos ( I also apologize for this repetitive information
since many of you have heard about this repeatedly) I have had to deal with
many of the issues raised here. As I have stated in numerous posts I am
around as far removed  from being a "Qualified Mechanic" as is possible so
every new project I undertake becomes a major educational process. Having
been an Old Harley owner ( the Harley was old , not me! but now we both
are!) I am well aware of the importance of always carrying a basic tool
kit!. Owning 1954 rigid frame  pan head with a springer front end if you
didn't carry tools you wound up leaving a trail of parts (like Hansel and
Gretel left a trail of bread crumbs!) Getting back to the Pantera I had
purchased a complete replacement set of Stainless steel fasteners to use in
rebuilding my suspension and brakes and as I mentioned in my Educational
process comment I didn't even know what galling was. Luckily I read a post
at around the same time I was starting my reassembly about someone that had
a stainless bolt seized into their fancy serpentine pulley set up  so I had
the opportunity to buy and use anti seize before I put everything togeteher.
One thing I wanted to mention is that although I am not a particular fan of
Allen head fasteners  the compact size of a set of Allen keys and the
opportunity to have fairly comprehensive set of sizes  in a very compact
space it does make carrying an  emergency tool kit allot easier and having
Brembo calipers that utilize Allen head bolts (and 12 point bolts on the CV
joint cages) some of the points made in Steve's post really hit home.
Additionally having recently come close to losing a  rear wheel assembly I
strongly agree that the importance of monitoring the integrity of your
critical fasteners can not be over stated! It can prevent allot more then
the inconvenience of an interrupted trip , the premature termination of a
life or lives you prevent may be your own!

Boyd