[DeTomaso] Caliper bolts--when was the last time you checked?

Forest Goodhart forestg at att.net
Mon Sep 27 16:40:07 EDT 2010

In the instance that occured this weekend the brake system is an aftermarket
adaption of Wilwood calipers. An adapter plate of stainless steel attaches to
the upright with socket head capscrews that have a counter bore in the adapter
so that they are below the face of the adapter. This is necessary because the
caliper body covers one bolt completely and is close to the other. The caliper
is then bolted to the adapter with cap screws, in this case 12 point ARP. The
capscrew that is not covered by the caliper came out. The bolts attaching the
caliper to the adapter plate were not installed with anti sieze and as a result
the threads were galled removing the caliper. In this case a socket head
capscrew was not readily available but the nearby Ace Hardware had a hex head
bolt that could be made to work as it just cleared the caliper. A tap had to be
purchased to clean up the galled threads in the stainless adapter plate and
ultimately everything went back together and the car was able to continue on the
trip. The two socket head capscrews are either a type I've never seen or they
have been specially machined for this application. The under side of the head
has a taper similar to a flat head and the overall height of the head is only
about 3/16". Because the heads are recessed into the counter bore it is not
possible to safety wier or use the french locks so it seems that loctite is the
only security. With the taper under the head a lock washer will not work either.