[DeTomaso] steering wheel diameter

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 10:03:58 EDT 2010

I first started with 5 % degrees ( after my johnny woods modification) but I
didn't get the high speed stability I expected. With all new suspension
components, new Konis shocks, new sphere ball sway bar ends and  new wheels
and tires ( with good handling "Nitto NT-05 235xZR18 x 9 (front )effective
diameter of 25.43" and width of 9.57" and 335/30/ ZR19  ( rear)  26.89" and
width of 13.31") they have one of the best ratings for dry performance with
performance rateings of W, UTOG treadware at 200 traction at AA and temp at
A. diameter and characteristics and set up for low center of gravity I
expected a much more stable high speed driving expierienece. The all The
alignment specs camie in at or better then expected. The only thing I couls
still think of was the small diameter steering whell (as I said a fraction
over 13" with the leather wrap) makes me feel that My steering wheel
movements ( especially at speed) are having an exagerated effect on my
steering input and making the car feel skitisch. Does this sound logical or
make sense? I remember my NSX at 150 mph felt like it was on rails ( as long
as the windows were closed) I havent had the pantera over 110 Mph ( due to
no appropriate place to drive it safely (or legally at that speed ) and I
don't feel at all confident in the stabilty or controll at this speed even
driving in a relative straight line. It gives m pause for concern when I
factor in the prospect of driving a course with turns at theses type of
speeds ( or ideally faster) Has anyone got any advice or practical input or
opinions? By the way my rack is good  and I don't appear to be suffering
from any bumpsteer of any significance. I am really inclined to believe this
is a result of the steering wheel diameter.
Boyd