[DeTomaso] steering wheel diameter

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Sep 24 23:45:37 EDT 2010

In a message dated 9/23/10 14 01 53, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> I wanted to know what the recommended diameter steering wheel for track
> or
> road racing. My Steering wheel seems like a small diameter for competitive
> driving.

The stock wheel was 14 inches.   The Euro wheel (Momo Prototipo mostly,
although some Euro cars got a different Momo wheel) is 350mm, or 13 3/4 inches.
  Sometimes big gorillas will fit a 13-inch wheel for extra leg clearance
but this results in surprisingly higher steering effort.   I have seen one
Pantera with a 12-inch wheel, which was a complete joke.

Because I'm a wimp, for a short time I had a 15-inch wheel in my car.
Judy DeRyke had one in hers and I thought it looked good, and she said it
helped a lot.   But in my car, maybe because I chose different wheel style, it
looked really stupid, like a school bus wheel, so eventually I traded it back
for a 14-inch version, then later sold the whole works and installed a 350mm
Prototipo.

Mike (steering effort goes down when the speed goes up, so that's my new
strategy for overcoming my lack of upper body strength!)