[DeTomaso] rebuilt title value

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 23:17:03 EDT 2010

There can be. Some banks will refuse to finance a car, some insurance
companies will refuse to insure a car and those that do (especially for a
specialty car like a Pantera where one wants to sure it for a pre agreed
upon value you can run into some real problems. Plus in my experience in
over 25 years of Retail car sales management (mostly dealing with newer cars
not classics) most people will walk away from a salvage title car unless
they are flat out stealing it. Your experiences may differ. I have testified
as an expert witness in Virginia whee it is written into law that a person
is entitled to diminished value judgement for a car that is damaged and the
repaired and the repair or it's history adversely effects the value of the
car. On the other hand New York state has no such provision and the owner of
a damaged car that is not totaled takes the hit for the diminished value
right on the nose. That's why I always recommend pushing for a total loss in
the case of substantial damage.

Boyd