[DeTomaso] Resetting Ride Height With Stiffer Coils - the sequel

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Sep 24 18:33:01 EDT 2010

In a message dated 9/24/10 15 00 25, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

> Where my fender lip was ~25.75" above the ground, now it's ~27"!
> Lowering
> the spring perch .33", and the .5" longer springs have somehow combined to
> raise the car 1.25"!

NO surprise there at all.   If the springs were .5 inches longer, and you
lowered the perches a full .5 inches, then the car would be sitting higher
purely as a result of the stiffer spring rate.   As it is, you effectively
both raised the springs, AND fitted stiffer springs, so there's no surprise
that it sits higher.   Also, the springs are considerably inboard of the tires,
so a .5 inch difference in spring perch height would naturally result in a
substantially greater difference in ride height.

Just lower the spring perches to whatever position it takes to get the car
to sit where you want it to.   And if you can't get there, i.e. your new
springs are too long so that even with the perches all the way down, the car
still sits too high, then you will have to replace them (NOT cut them, as that
will make them stiffer).