[DeTomaso] Update -Wheels - New Source - Group Buy

doug351c doug351c at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 23:31:33 EDT 2010

michael at michaelshortt.com wrote:

<You will talk to many owners who had some difficulty removing the original
wheels from the hubs due to corrosion of the original wheel, as little as a
coat of paint that was too thick caused these to stick to the flanges. to
eliminate these problems we opened up the center bore and made them to fit
off the lug holes>

-------------

In my experience, it wasn't the Argent paint that caused the hub centric
Campys to stick to the hubs.  It was because Magnesium is a very reactive
metal (just ask Mad-Dog) and the act of merely mounting them caused a breach
in the paint at the hub interface.  Once the paint surface is breached, the
underlying Magnesium corrodes, especially when moisture is present and in
contact with a dissimilar metal, like the steel hub.  The simple cure is to
always use anti-seize on the hub.  Hub-centric wheel location is IMHO vastly
superior to lug centric in terms of strength.

BTW: A little dab of anti-seize on the lug threads is also desirable to
prevent them from galling.

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505