[DeTomaso] steering wheel diameter

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Sep 23 17:38:11 EDT 2010

In a message dated 9/23/10 2:01:50 PM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> I wanted to know what the recommended diameter steering wheel for track
> or road racing. My Steering wheel seems like a small diameter for
> competitive driving.

I agree. The stock Capri-derived steel steering wheel is just under 14" OD.
I mounted an aluminum   Momo Prototipo which is 14-1/2" OD on our Pantera,
to give my 5'4" wife a little more leverage. This size change had no effect
on my fitting under the wheel at 6'2". A second thing that helps
considerably is to mount 8" x 15 Campagnolo wheels in front; the 1" larger inboard
offset reduces the stock Pantera's scrub radius to almost nothing and frees up
the steering noticably. Aftermarket wheels with the same offset as the 8"
wide Campys also work. Good luck- J DeRyke