[DeTomaso] Stock Flywheel Question- Lesson on Ford numbers!!!

sean mundy seanmundy at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 23 17:29:33 EDT 2010

Ken
1. 7 years with car I had no out of the ordinary vibration.
2. Needed ZF work done.  ZF removed and replaced 2nd gear and synchro.  Safety wire ring gear bolts.
3. Purchased new Mcleod 3 finger clutch from Pantera Performance
4. Resurfaced orginal OEM flywheel
5. Reinstall everything
6. Start engine.  Lots of vibration starting at 2500rpm and stays constant to over 3500.  At that point there is so much noise and vibration that its hard to tell if its normal or not.
7. Remove everything.
8.  Had machine shop check flywheel and clutch.  They said they removed a few grams but it was basically in balance.
9. Reinstall everthing.
10. No change, vibration still bad
11. Take everything out again and take it to different machine shop. They are confused about the flywheel and don't know how to balance it.
12. Decide to put old clutch back in.  Old clutch was in pretty good shape (also 3finger type of unknown origin)
13. Vibration still exists but reduced about 30% at same rpm.  Still very noticeable and annoying.
14. Smash thumb with very large hammer to try and deflect the pain I've suffered in previous steps :)