[DeTomaso] List access test: @list.realbig.com vs @realbig.com> DON'T send HTML!!

Richard Barkley rlbpantera at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 17 01:44:27 EDT 2010

  David,
Earlier this evening I sent out the my 4 test emails: plain and HTML to
both of the realbig.com addresses. Both of the text messages got through
and posted and I got acknowledgment. Neither of the HTML messages were
posted or acknowledged. Just now I sent another HTML post to
@list.realbig.com. It was not posted or acknowledged. So it appears that:
1) you can submit posts to either realbig.com address but
2) they MUST be in PLAIN text format NO HTML allowed (or at least no
HTML headers on the first line as in example below - I haven't tested
that yet)

Normally I just type without any fancy stuff (HTML) and Thunderbird (my
mail program) "auto detects" this as just text and sends text. The
problem occurred (and has before) when I forward something that was sent
to me that has HTML. I add some plain text to it but Thunderbird auto
detects the HTML and sends the whole thing as HTML with this as the
first line:

And the list software ignores the whole thing. Other mail programs may
work differently, but that's what Thunderbird does. Seems to me this
needs to get fixed somehow. Maybe there's a setting in the list that
allows acceptance of HTML but converts it to plain text? I doubt if you
could set it to send back a rejection message. Short of fixing the list
SW it seems that it should be made clear in a number of places that HTML
is not accepted and if you don't see your post, that's probably why.
This may be more of a problem with the daily digest because you don't
get the immediate feedback of a missing post.

The setting you changed, near as I can tell, only changes the format of
the daily digest from MIME (separate emails bundled together) and plain
text. Nothing to do with emails that I post to the list.

Richard