[DeTomaso] Schroth Dot Harness

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 20:51:52 EDT 2010

My Point is not that any sanctioning body requires DOT approved belts. In
fact as far as I know there are no competition belts that are DOT
compliant.The points I am attempting to make are two fold  1. some people
seem to be concerned about having a problem with their insurance carrier by
using non dot compliant harnesses on the street. The Schroth ralley tuner
series is DOT compliant if used according to their instructions (right belt
for right car installed properly etc. @. The second issue is having
harnesses that can be used f or competition. Most sanctioning bodies (SCCA
etc) require belts approved by FIA or SFI and they to my knowledge require
3" shoulder belts and 5 or 6 point harnesses (BMW CC requires 6 or 7 point)
The schroth tuner belts are DOT but they are not 5, 6 or 7 point and are
neither FIA or SFI approved. It's not a question of what I want to use my
car for it's a question of people receiving the correct information to meet
their needs and not waste their money on a product that won't meet their
needs.
The Silver State only allows 3 point factory seat belts in the most basic
class which is the touring class (top speed 110 tech speed 124) Starting
with the next class up (the grand touring class 5 or 6 point harnesses are
required) I would rather spend the money on a 6 point harness that is FIA or
SFI approved and retain my factory lap belt to satisfy my insurance company
for street driving then to spend $170.00 X2 (for both seats) for a harness
that would not meet the tech inspection requirements of most of the
competitive events above everything but the most novice competitive classes.