[DeTomaso] Stock Flywheel Question- Lesson on Ford numbers!!!

sean mundy seanmundy at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 16 17:05:30 EDT 2010

I finally was able to rescue my stock flywheel from the machine shop yesterday.  I stood in the shop with the owner for over a half hour while he showed me the balance of my flywheel "Didn't seem right".  He put the flywheel on a balancing post which had a bubble gage on top of it.  He then added weights to the outside edge of the flywheel to show me it was out of balance.  I said that it makes sense since the flywheel is supposed to be 28oz out of balance (I told him this fact when I took it to him last week) but he was confused and didn't seem to understand or explain his assumption.  I had pictures with me of AsaJay's stock flywheel that I got from the team pantera racing website.  He looked at them over and over and I actually had to point out some of the common castings and such to him.   Showing him that my flywheel and AJ's were almost exactly the same (except one number) made him even more confused. At that point I was looking for the door and making exuses as to why I needed to leave NOW with my flywheel and clutch.
I'm running out of options so I am going to reinstall my old clutch along with my stock resurfaced flywheel and see if the vibration is still there.  Hoping that the new Mcleod clutch is the problem.
Question - I have had to pull everything apart and reinstall so many times now is there any bolts that should be replaced?  flywheel, axle, zf mounts, bellhousing?

Thanks, Sean