[DeTomaso] Schroth Dot Harness

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 11:18:17 EDT 2010

I don't claim to be an expert , but the Schroth Dot Harness is 4 point (
although it has a proprietary anti submarine feature) The fact that the
 webbing is only 2 inches wide and he Dot harnesses are  all 4 points
creates a problem with tech approval from all the sanctioning bodies I am
aware of. If memory serves me correctly the harnesses must be 3"wide and at
least 5 point. Am I correct in my recollections? Is so the 4 point harness
is a nice way to  avoid problems with the authorities and insurance
companies ( I have read some posts where people expressed fear that their
insurance claims would potentially be denied because of using Non -dot
equipment on the street. If their concerns are valid this opens a whole
other can of worms for those using Wilwood calipers or other non-Dot
approved components on street vehicles. If The Schroth are not accepted by
tech inspectors at track events the schroth harness would be an expensive
feature that would have to be replaced by another equally or more expensive
3" 5 or 6 point harness for use at sactioned track events. The Schroth tuner
series (the only DOT approved Schroth harnesses) are made for specefic
vehicle applications. If your vehicle is not on the list it is not
""Technically legal " as far as dot compliance goes. Schroth does make a
"Universal application" that can be used on other "non specific cars" these
are the Ralley series The Ralley cross is the harness best suited for the
Pantera because they are designed for cars with out back seats.
For those interested in the Schroth product line here is their web page
http://www.schrothracing.com/main/Home Schroth also makes a full line of
competition harnesses which are NOT DOT COMPLIANT. The Ralley cross harness
(the ons best suited for the Pantera  sells for $169.95 (thats the retail
price directly from Schroth.)
I think if you retain your original stock seat belts for street use and add
the 5 or 6 point harness for track use (or to supplement your street belts
you would  have the legal /insurance issues covered as well as having a
harness that would be accepted by the tech inspectors.

Boyd