[DeTomaso] Clutch problems when engine is hot

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Sat Sep 11 17:46:31 EDT 2010

Based on my admittedly limited understanding of the physics involved, you either have air in the system or the master cylinder is going bad.
The slave cyl is just a single piston with a single seal. If the seal is good the piston moves and the clutch disengages. If the seal is bad fluid moves past it and will be seen leaked out around the slave--a LOT of it, probably, and the level in the reservoir will drop.

The slave on the Alfa I used to have failed when I was some distance from home.  I guess I must have smelled the leaked fluid so I knew it was happening.  I had a 12 oz bottle of brake fluid in the trunk (as I said, it's an Alfa) so I kept refilling the reservoir and used the clutch as little as possible. I barely got home, having used up the entire bottle.

The master is the only cylinder that can fail functionally and yet not leak fluid out where you can see it or drain the reservoir because when it slips past the high pressure seal on the end of the piston it moves back into the area of the reservoir.  Only if the rear seal in the master fails will you see fluid.

Try bleeding the system. If there was no air, your master cyl is going out.

That's what master cylinders do when they fail in my experience-- sometimes they work, sometimes not, until usually not.

Jim