[DeTomaso] cam lift measurement

Barry Seib oldwheel at mts.net
Thu Sep 9 19:16:42 EDT 2010

I'll send you a photo off list Doug.
Barry
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Doug Braun [mailto:doug351c at gmail.com]
  Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2010 6:04 PM
  To: Barry Seib; DeTomaso Forum
  Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] cam lift measurement

  Where do you attach the magnetic base?  There are no flat surfaces to
attach it at the top of the head.
  If you attach it to the intake surface of the head, the base's arms have
to traverse two 90 degree turns.

  Doug

  On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Barry Seib <oldwheel at mts.net> wrote:

    I just remove a rocker and set the pointed end on my dial indicator in
the
    oil hole on the top end of the pushrod. With a magnetic base you can set
it
    up to be quite straight & accurate. You may want to keep a little
downward
    pressure on the lifter with your finger to make sure it's following the
lobe
    closely.

    Barry

----
    Doug Braun wrote:
    Has anyone found a good way to measure cam lift with the heads on the
engine
    and the intake off.  A dial gauge won't fit in the valley to ride on the
    lifter.  And measuring on a pivoting rocker isn't very accurate.

    Doug Braun