[DeTomaso] 351C hydraulic roller lifters and steel distributor gears

doug351c doug351c at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 00:38:25 EDT 2010

Dan,

Thanks for the great update on lifters, distributor gears and valve springs.
That's great news that we now have more choices for hydraulic roller
lifters.

In your email you said "There are several things that can help extend the
RPM range:"  And one of the things you listed was:  "5. Pre-Load (3/4 to 1
full turn on standard travel lifters)"

3/4 to a full turn sounds like the standard amount of preload for a street
engine.  I always thought that if you wanted to extend the RPM range of a
hydraulic lifter, that you reduced the preload to 1/2 to 2/3 turn to
minimize the amount that the lifter can pump up if the valve floats.  What's
special about the 3/4 to full turn that you listed?  Are you advocating more
than a full turn of preload for a street engine?

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505