[DeTomaso] what clutches that work with the ZF?

mikeldrew at aol.com mikeldrew at aol.com
Mon Sep 6 16:29:19 EDT 2010

Ken,

You wrote:

>I called McLeod yesterday and asked about using their 11 inch
diaphragm Mustang
clutch in the Pantera

>>>Why would you want to run a Mustang clutch in a Pantera?  Panteras
need a PANTERA clutch, yes they are different.

>and they responded that you have to use the 11 inch Long
style clutch which is Pantera specific.

>>>Not quite true...what you have to run is one of their 11 inch
clutches which are Pantera specific--either Long or diaphragm style,
they offer them both.

> My guess is that this specific pressure
plate does not have the weights that can come out and hit the inside of
the bell
housing,

>>>Diaphragm clutches generally don´t have weights.  Only Centerforce
clutches (which, coincidentally, are diaphragm style) have those
weights.

 >but I'm not sure I believe that you can't use the Mustang 11 inch
diaphragm pressure plate,

>>>It´s well-known, tried and failed, been there done that.  Mustang
clutches will bolt up but will NOT work properly.

>and on a previous visit to McLeod, another tech there
recommended the 11 inch diaphragm pressure plate.

>>>Yes...the one they make specifically for the Pantera.

>I also know at least one
Pantera owner using the McLeod dual disk clutch with no issues.

>>>McLeod offers a whole bunch of Pantera-specific clutches in numerous
styles.  Their website used to have a simple page that listed them all
(they also have Dash 1 clutches, numerous styles, and they are
different from the Dash 2 style, and they also have numerous Mangusta
clutches).  They 'improved' their website with a lookup function that
doesn't work, so now you can no longer see what they offer for us.  You
have to call and ask the right question (forget about 'Mustang' clutch
and just ask about the different Pantera clutches they offer), or call
Dennis Quella, who is a McLeod dealer.

I helped install a McLeod diaphragm clutch on a Pantera earlier this
year, and have sent five or six of them to various Euro Pantera buddies
in the past year, and all reported great success--equal clamping power
with less pedal effort.  I have a McLeod three-finger clutch in my car
because I didn't know about the diaphragm option when I bought it back
in 1992.

>Based on this, can we put together a list of clutches (disks and
pressure
plates) that are known to work in a Pantera from actual experience?

>>>The list is pretty small.  Centerforce clutches work okay (some have
had problems, the Adlers spit nails any time you mention the name due
to a catastrophic failure in their car), and McLeod has a perfect
reputation.  Those are the only Pantera-specific clutch manufacturers I
can think of off the top of my head, but really, how many clutches do
you really need?  Those two brands offer more than a dozen different
Pantera clutch options between them....