[DeTomaso] WTB: 1967 Thunderbird air cleaner base (Mangusta related!)

steven.liebenow at att.net steven.liebenow at att.net
Thu Sep 2 02:05:37 EDT 2010

All,

I want to fab up a new air cleaner assy that has more drop in it than the stock
one does...

I have already determined that the base of a 69-70 Mustang big block air cleaner
will serve as a base to allow more clearance....but there is no way that I would
cut up a $600 air cleaner base to make a non-standard copy of a stock air
cleaner!

The 67 Thunderbird air cleaner is what the later ones were patterned
after....and will suffice for what I want to do, without destroying an ultra
rare air cleaner! All I need is the bottom, no lid. These were usually found in
428/390 'Birds, so lid may denote that.  66 units will not work.  67 unit has a
separate piece spot welded in place, that supports the filter element.  This is
how you tell them apart from the 66 and generic versions. Fresh air snorkles are
spot welded in place.

Ping me if you have something or see something in the wrecking yards!!

Thanks!
Steve