[DeTomaso] R 12 conversions

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Wed Sep 1 04:57:07 EDT 2010

When I bought my car the A/C was empty.

It had a "new" compressor, from Hall I believe, as the old York had seized.

I had it converted to R134a, and it worked great for two seasons. The
third season it was empty again.

They tried to find the leak, but failed, and they filled it up again.

The story repeats, worked fine for two seasons, and then empty again.

I then replaced all the hoses and had the shaft seal replaced.

On the trip to Le Mans in 2006 we were driving through Germany and ran
into heavy rain, and as it was warm and very humid, we needed the A/C to
keep the windscreen clear. Then we heard a loud bang, and the cabin was
filled with smoke! It turned out that the hose to the expansion valve
had opened at the fitting, dumping most of the charge into the cabin.

It turned out that the pressure switch on the drier was only a low
pressure switch, so the pressure became too high and the hose popped.

We replaced the switch with a dual switch, which cuts the compressor
also on high pressure. We replaced the fitting and charged the system
again. This time it worked just that season.

Being fed up with having essentially a non working A/C I bought a leak
detector on Ebay, and quickly found that the compressor appeared to leak
everywhere.

I bought a brand new Sanden 508 compressor and I'm now into my second
season  on that, and it still works great. I hope this will be the end
of the issues.

Only a few weeks ago I read an article that said that many old R12 spec
compressors have seals that will not work for long with R134a, and it
appears that my old compressor was such a unit.

If I ever need to open up my A/C system again I will install a front
mounted condenser.

Cheers,
Thomas

--
Real life:   Thomas Törnblom             Email:  Thomas.Tornblom at Hax.SE
Snail mail:  Banvallsvägen 14            Phone:    +46 18 32 31 18