[DeTomaso] Air compressor info

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 01:35:10 EDT 2010

<<< I have a dedicated new construction 220 volt outlet in my new garage. What
brand - model - type air compressor should I buy? >>>

Others have already made excellent recommendations about brands, and plumbing
your garage for multiple quick disconnect air drops where you're most likely to
need them, so I'll just add my 2-cents...

1) Do NOT get an oil-less compressor. I have one and it makes lots of air and
has no trouble keeping up with my air tools (DA sanders, etc). But it makes a
LOT of NOISE! You must wear hearing protection if you're in the garage when that
thing kicks on. An oil-lubricated compressor is MUCH QUIETER.

2) If you plan to run air tools (other than a framing nailer) or paint anything
(cars, boats, motorcycles, etc) then you need at least 5-6 gallons and 5 hp,
otherwise it won't be able to keep up with your sprayer or tools. This is a
generalization based upon experience, so check the specs for any compressor
you're considering.

3) I would recommend an upright compressor. They take up less space in the
garage. Mine is not an upright, and I have wheeled it out in to the backyard to
do some sandblasting, but it's nothing I couldn't have done with a longer hose
dragged out to the yard. My compressor, a 6hp 33 gallon oil-free lay down model,
just takes up too much darn space in my cluttered and cramped garage.

Here's a link to a plumbing diagram to help you plumb your garage shop for air:
http://www.norgren.com/document_resources/PDF_links/product_literature/brochures/airline/en_clean_compressed_air.pdf

Cheers!
Garth